People Are Same Everywhere
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People Are Same Everywhere

This international forum is for people from ex Soviet Union countries. Politics acts shouldn’t be cause of international hate. Aim is communication and dialog between people with different views. Be friendly and tolerant, speak English.

HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Learning Estonian language

Go down 
+8
Kakeporo
Earthland
Communist Gipsy
Admin
Helena
whatever
Kiskun
NowhereMan
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NowhereMan

NowhereMan

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-05-17

Learning Estonian language Empty
PostSubject: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 9:10 pm

Tere everyone. I have already said that I would like to learn estonian. I am not gonna try very hard, because it's just for fun. It will be my hobby or something... Anyways, I have no idea how the language sounds and there's no books here, so I am looking for someone who can help me. If you are a Skype user or just can send me audio-files to some estonian words and phrases I'd appreciate that a lot. Here I will post my questions and thoughts regarding the language. If you have something to say about the language and/or want to help you're welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 3:55 pm

I had similar thoughts some weeks ago. And I also engaged myself with Estonian as I could borrow a book "Észt nyelvkönyv" from the library. I reached a level, but I must concentrate on Swedish now and I am better at Finnish than Estonian ,but that knowledge isn't so solid, so I should practice Finnish rather, before going on with Estonian :/
But even though I am still interested in Estonian.
Back to top Go down
whatever

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 9:00 pm

http://www.speakestonian.co.uk/

This site may help learn Smile but don't know where to get recorded expressions/words Crying or Very sad

And Kisku Estonian is kinda similar to Finnish. Estonian isn't probably the easiest language to learn. Some consider it one of the hardest to learn, but what do I know some people say Chines is easy but sounds very hard for me geek

Since Estonian and Finnish sound kinda similar:
http://donnerwetter.kielikeskus.helsinki.fi/FinnishForForeigners/parts-index.htm

here Finns have recorded speech, then it will give some kind of idea how does Estonian sound.

Happy learning Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

Number of posts : 142

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 10:28 pm

Maybe some Estonian videos from youtube would be useful?

I guess you'll get a quite good imagination about how it sounds from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbyIXAbXhhI . Don't mind the singers, we are not all like them Very Happy

And how about the AK news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0AZUi0FJT0

And that's the funny man who has frequently promised to blow up the monument (which for his sorrow is now relocated so he doesn't have any reason to put bombs any more): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6o59dhA25Y&mode=related&search=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egme7q1ubyY&mode=related&search= . It's a comedy show from the time when Bush was just about to come to Estonia.

Edu! Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 11:38 pm

come to visit and learn in person Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://people.forumotion.com
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyFri Jun 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Admin wrote:
come to visit and learn in person Laughing

We wanted to this Summer! But it is too far away :/ I know that annually there are 15000 Estonians coming here, but only 10000 Hungarians going there, though our population is 8-9 times the Estonian one Smile
Back to top Go down
Communist Gipsy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyFri Jun 15, 2007 5:25 pm

-

Last edited by on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Earthland

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 10:56 am

I tried to learn finnish. It's even more difficult than Russian language for me, because our languages sounds similar but grammar etc are different Smile .

Taking it as a hobby, I think it won't be very hard...
Back to top Go down
NowhereMan

NowhereMan

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 8:19 pm

Quote :
I guess you'll get a quite good imagination about how it sounds from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbyIXAbXhhI . Don't mind the singers, we are not all like them

Yeah, it sounds like Finnish, and I quite like it.
It's not easy to learn, but not that hard, I think...

Thanks for the links Smile
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 11:50 pm

For us, Finnish sounds like when a 5 year old child starts to use the funniest terminations for every word. And Estonian sounds like when a 3 year old child does the same, just with funny "s" sounds. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
whatever

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 1:01 am

Kiskun wrote:
For us, Finnish sounds like when a 5 year old child starts to use the funniest terminations for every word. And Estonian sounds like when a 3 year old child does the same, just with funny "s" sounds. Very Happy

Very Happy

Well Estonia and Finnish languages are similar biggest difference is that Estonian have more vocals used what makes it harder to spell and makes the language "ring".
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 2:21 am

But on the contrary with Finnish, we DO have one really common word with Estonian, which is of Finno-Ugrian origin: Sarv=Szarv
And one case in grammar is the same in many cases: õht=est--->õhtut=estet (or este--> estét)
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 2:42 am

NowhereMan wrote:
Quote :
I guess you'll get a quite good imagination about how it sounds from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbyIXAbXhhI . Don't mind the singers, we are not all like them

Any time Smile

whatever wrote:
Kiskun wrote:

Very Happy

Well Estonia and Finnish languages are similar biggest difference is that Estonian have more vocals used what makes it harder to spell and makes the language "ring".
There's also another quite big difference when you start learning - when Finnish has only two lenghts of consonants (short and overlong), Estonia has three (short, long and overlong), if I remember right. Plus we have a little more cases.

By the way I, to Estonians Hungarian sounds very weird, too Smile

By the way II, "est" is "õhtu" not "õht" in Estonian.
By the wayIII, I've heard there are 23 cases in Hungarian. Is that true? Because I have been thinking about starting to study Hungarian but that news actually decreased my enthusiasm a bit. (In Estonian there are only 14.)
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 12:17 pm

Helena wrote:
NowhereMan wrote:
Quote :

Any time Smile

whatever wrote:
Kiskun wrote:

Very Happy

There's also another quite big difference when you start learning - when Finnish has only two lenghts of consonants (short and overlong), Estonia has three (short, long and overlong), if I remember right. Plus we have a little more cases.

By the way I, to Estonians Hungarian sounds very weird, too Smile

By the way II, "est" is "õhtu" not "õht" in Estonian.
By the wayIII, I've heard there are 23 cases in Hungarian. Is that true? Because I have been thinking about starting to study Hungarian but that news actually decreased my enthusiasm a bit. (In Estonian there are only 14.)

Oh yeah, "õhtu", otherwise it would get a vowel...
Well, there are 18 cases which can be taken to anything which is not a verb, but altogether the number of cases can be 34. And yeah, we use all of them.
You say, "Mina lähen rongiga" , we use also -ga (-val/-vel) not "by" and -"lla/llä" like other languages.

So learn Hungarian! bom
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Do Estonians also consider an elk something strong like Finns do in linguistical contexts?
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 9:47 pm

For Estonians an elk is no symbol, excepting the fact that Finnish are often called "põdrad" by Estonians. It's not considered to be very polite. And I better not think what are the Finnish calling us.
Back to top Go down
Kakeporo

Kakeporo

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: no nick for Estonians in Finland   Learning Estonian language EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 12:37 pm

Helena wrote:
For Estonians an elk is no symbol, excepting the fact that Finnish are often called "põdrad" by Estonians. It's not considered to be very polite. And I better not think what are the Finnish calling us.

we may have some own fault for the nick "põdrad" "poro" rendeer . I think no-one gets insulted of it. Estonia has a false name in finnish: we call Estonia as Viro and estonian is "virolainen" lives he/she in Virumaa or not. Maybe the finns visiting Tallinn have changed a little bit from the past to more sophisticated manners, but still we see a lot of boozing there. The alcohol is so temptating cheap there!
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jul 05, 2007 3:50 pm

Isamaa ilu hoieldes

Okey,so now Estonians are going to translate me what it means.
I know isamaa=fatherland (motherland), like the land of the ancestors, ancient land of us...
ilu=gladness, joy
hoieldes=?

Mis hoieldes on?

That song rocks rendeer rendeer rendeer tongue
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jul 05, 2007 5:28 pm

"Hoieldes" is about the same as "hoides" (comes from word "hoidma"=to keep, to save, to hold), but "hoieldes" is rarely used somewhere else than in poems.

Isamaa ilu hoieldes=when saving fatherland's beauty

And I agree about the song Smile
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jul 05, 2007 5:57 pm

Helena wrote:
"Hoieldes" is about the same as "hoides" (comes from word "hoidma"=to keep, to save, to hold), but "hoieldes" is rarely used somewhere else than in poems.

Tänan. Though I don't completely understand its grammar now. Is hoieldes a noun?
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jul 05, 2007 6:08 pm

Kiskun wrote:
Helena wrote:

Tänan. Though I don't completely understand its grammar now. Is hoieldes a noun?
No, it's a verb. Unfortunately I can't explain you that, I think. It answers to a question "mida tehes" (probably ca be translated "when doing something", I hope it gives you the main idea).
Back to top Go down
Communist Gipsy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyThu Jul 05, 2007 10:08 pm

-

Last edited by on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 am

International Hate wrote:
Helena wrote:
And I better not think what are the Finnish calling us.
I don't actually know any "nicknames" for Estonians, which i feel a bit weird because nowadays there's quite a lot Estonians in Helsinki. We have to figure out something Smile For Russians and Swedes we have many names, better not to tell that no one feels insulted Smile

Come on, just tell them Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 1:07 am

Helena wrote:
Kiskun wrote:
Helena wrote:

No, it's a verb. Unfortunately I can't explain you that, I think. It answers to a question "mida tehes" (probably ca be translated "when doing something", I hope it gives you the main idea).

Maybe when I won't have fever I'll be able to think...Thanks anyway! Smile
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 1:40 am

You're welcome, Kiskun Smile

I've heard that Russians call Estonians "tshuhnaa's" which is supposed to be quite impolite. Is that true?
And the Swedes undoubtedly also have names for us as (at least as much as I've heard) they don't like us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning Estonian language
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next