People Are Same Everywhere
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People Are Same Everywhere

This international forum is for people from ex Soviet Union countries. Politics acts shouldn’t be cause of international hate. Aim is communication and dialog between people with different views. Be friendly and tolerant, speak English.

HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Learning Estonian language

Go down 
+8
Kakeporo
Earthland
Communist Gipsy
Admin
Helena
whatever
Kiskun
NowhereMan
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kiskun

Kiskun

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2007-05-20

Learning Estonian language - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 12:30 pm

And what does tshuhnaa mean?
There is no wide-spread calling for Finns in Hungary, but at the Finnish-course we all agreed that they look like small elves who have just came out of the forest, but all these without any bad meaning.
I heard Finns call Swedish men "gays", which I can understand Smile

So, maybe in such context -s put to a verb is a passive voice? Like hoides=is kept/is saved...?

In Hungary, Russians are Ruszki (Rusky). A ruszkik=the Russians ---> Ruszkik haza! = Russians go home! I love you
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2007-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 12:10 am

I don't know about the meaning of "tshuhnaa". There is a chance that there is no actual meaning of that, it may be just a calling name. Maybe Nowhere Man can tell?

About Finnish. I strongly reccomend Finnish men named Petter not to call themselves Pete in Estonia Smile

And I'm not sure about that word. I'm not even sure if it's verb or adjective. It may be an adverbial, too.
Back to top Go down
Communist Gipsy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 3:21 pm

-

Last edited by on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 6:22 pm

International Hate wrote:
Kiskun wrote:
And what does tshuhnaa mean?
There is no wide-spread calling for Finns in Hungary, but at the Finnish-course we all agreed that they look like small elves who have just came out of the forest, but all these without any bad meaning.
Well we just came out from the forests relatively recently Smile
Quote :

I heard Finns call Swedish men "gays", which I can understand Smile
That's quite much the truth. Swedish men are thought to be a bit feminin.
There's a military joke that the tactic against swedish invasion is to cover the shore stones with sugar, so the first wave of swedes bends over and begins to lick the stones and after that the second wave will stop when they see the bent over men Smile

Very Happy
For me their look is also not so masculine, but that is rather cool, but with their style of clothing plus that strange behaviour, ehh... maybe my culture is not developed enough yet or I don't know...
Back to top Go down
NowhereMan

NowhereMan

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Hey! Hold your tongues! Sweden is great! I love its pop-music. ABBA, Roxette and Ace of Base... they're marvelous. I was a big fan when I was a kid Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Communist Gipsy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 7:33 pm

-

Last edited by on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 10:17 pm

NowhereMan wrote:
Hey! Hold your tongues! Sweden is great! I love its pop-music. ABBA, Roxette and Ace of Base... they're marvelous. I was a big fan when I was a kid Very Happy

Are you kidding with me? My favorite country is Sweden actually. I also speak their language fluently. And I am a big fan even today of all the mentioned groups Wink Life is a flooooower! flower
Back to top Go down
«Trayus»

«Trayus»

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Oh I like Sweden aswel, been there not once, however I can't speak Swedish so good, I'm trying to learn it. >.<
Back to top Go down
NowhereMan

NowhereMan

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 10:59 pm

Kiskun wrote:
And I am a big fan even today of all the mentioned groups Wink Life is a flooooower! flower

...carry on smiiiling Very Happy and the world will smile with you flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2007 4:11 pm

NowhereMan wrote:
Kiskun wrote:
And I am a big fan even today of all the mentioned groups Wink Life is a flooooower! flower

...carry on smiiiling Very Happy and the world will smile with you flower flower flower

"It's a beautiful life o-o-oooh" cherry

I can't get it out of my head: Ei taha ei saa sind jätta Virumaa... rendeer
Back to top Go down
svybski

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-07-31

PostSubject: nickname for "estonian"   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 9:50 pm

Helena wrote:
For Estonians an elk is no symbol, excepting the fact that Finnish are often called "põdrad" by Estonians. It's not considered to be very polite. And I better not think what are the Finnish calling us.

i really dont know any term/nickname for estonians than "virolainen" or "eestiläinen"..

hehee maybe we need to invent one! geek how "essu" sounds? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
svybski

PostSubject: nicknames   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 pm

Helena wrote:
I don't know about the meaning of "tshuhnaa". There is a chance that there is no actual meaning of that, it may be just a calling name. Maybe Nowhere Man can tell?

About Finnish. I strongly reccomend Finnish men named Petter not to call themselves Pete in Estonia Smile

And I'm not sure about that word. I'm not even sure if it's verb or adjective. It may be an adverbial, too.

tsuhna means "slow" or sthing, if i remember correctly. russians used it, but it meant finns, at least during ww2. I read that from some books written by veterans. Maybe they generalized the word, maybe it now means finns and estonians.

thousand of years ago, russians called estonian and finn (and maybe also viking) tribes with other name, which was more neutral. i dont remember it :/

the word russian comes btw from rus meaning one area in sweden (!). The history is that the vikings (from "rus" meaning Sweden) settled in some parts of the current russia and created actually the first russian state. And it started to grow, the name remained but the people got mixed to the other slavian tribes more and more..

finns call russians as "ryssä" (little negative) or more rarely as "venukka" (from russia/venäjä, more neutral). Ussr citizen was called as "neukku" (from ussr/neuvostoliitto, neutral).

and swedes are not called as "gay" in finland! swedish firstnames like "stefan" etc. are sometimes used as nicknames for gays.. dunno why Smile old stereotype?
Back to top Go down
NowhereMan

NowhereMan

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 11:05 pm

Quote :
tsuhna means "slow" or sthing, if i remember correctly. russians used it, but it meant finns, at least during ww2. I read that from some books written by veterans. Maybe they generalized the word, maybe it now means finns and estonians.

You can find this word in one of Pushkin's poems.. I can't remember where exactly and what it really meant... It was used for finns and now used for estonians as well... There's nothing negative in it. Even a friend of mine who's in love with Finland calls it Tchukhlandia sometimes Smile
Back to top Go down
svybski

PostSubject: pushkin   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2007 1:48 am

NowhereMan wrote:
Quote :

You can find this word in one of Pushkin's poems.. I can't remember where exactly and what it really meant... It was used for finns and now used for estonians as well... There's nothing negative in it. Even a friend of mine who's in love with Finland calls it Tchukhlandia sometimes Smile

well, meanings always change, and it seems to be so that meaning of this nickname - tsuhna - is now neutral. btw, i have rouble coin where is this image and name of this pusshkin. it is so sad that i dont know so much about ex-ussr artists, poets etc.

btw, these famous artists/scientists/etc.
are usually called russians in Russia, but quite often it seems to be so that e.g. Georgians (gruusians) (or any ex-ussr country) might acknowledge famous "georgian" but russians say he/she is a russian? is that sometimes unclear what is the nationality of the famous artist/scientist in ex-ussr countries?
it is like 2 countries are competing, both want to take the credit?

is it true that back in ussr times, the same people identified oneselves as russians, and now they want to be identified as estonians, georgians, chechnyans etc.?

greetings from tchukhlandia... Wink
Back to top Go down
Earthland

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2007 6:38 pm

Kiskun wrote:
Isamaa ilu hoieldes

Okey,so now Estonians are going to translate me what it means.
I know isamaa=fatherland (motherland), like the land of the ancestors, ancient land of us...
ilu=gladness, joy
hoieldes=?

Mis hoieldes on?

That song rocks rendeer rendeer rendeer tongue

I found the translation from this site: http://singingrevolution.com

Isamaa ilu hoieldes=Cherishing the Beauty of the Land of my Fathers
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2007 3:43 pm

Earthland wrote:
Kiskun wrote:
Isamaa ilu hoieldes

Okey,so now Estonians are going to translate me what it means.
I know isamaa=fatherland (motherland), like the land of the ancestors, ancient land of us...
ilu=gladness, joy
hoieldes=?

Mis hoieldes on?

That song rocks rendeer rendeer rendeer tongue

I found the translation from this site: http://singingrevolution.com

Isamaa ilu hoieldes=Cherishing the Beauty of the Land of my Fathers

Cool, I could download the song. I'm gonna put it on my mp3, suuuuur tänu!
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 08, 2007 4:06 am

Hey, Hungarians.
As I have a bit more time at the moment I decided to recall my few knowledges of Hungarian and I'd be very thankful if you'd help me with some questions Smile
First, is there any diffrence if I say "Jó reggelt/napot/estét/éjszakàt" or "Jó reggelt/napot/estét/éjszakàt kivànok"?
Secondly, how should I translate "Kezét csokolom"? I know it's a formal greeting but it would be good to know the exact meaning.
Thirdly, I saw that you have quite a lot of different greetings. Are there any that are used more widely than the others?
1. Jó ... (kivànok)
2. Szia
3. Szervusz
4. Csokolom

Thanks for the answers:)
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 08, 2007 4:31 pm

Helena wrote:
Hey, Hungarians.
As I have a bit more time at the moment I decided to recall my few knowledges of Hungarian and I'd be very thankful if you'd help me with some questions Smile
First, is there any diffrence if I say "Jó reggelt/napot/estét/éjszakàt" or "Jó reggelt/napot/estét/éjszakàt kivànok"?
Secondly, how should I translate "Kezét csokolom"? I know it's a formal greeting but it would be good to know the exact meaning.
Thirdly, I saw that you have quite a lot of different greetings. Are there any that are used more widely than the others?
1. Jó ... (kivànok)
2. Szia
3. Szervusz
4. Csokolom

Thanks for the answers:)
Always good to see someone learning Hungarian

The difference between the Jó napot and Jó napot kívánok sentences are only that kívánok means "I wish you (Teile)". Nowadays we never say "kívánok" , it sounds more official and as officialness has slowly started to extinct we say only "Jó napot" when entering a shop too.

Jó ... sentences are used at greetings when you really mean it. (Hommikut! - Jó reggelt!) Otherwise, Jó napot or Csókolom are used maybe when you meet a friend's parents.
Szia=Hi, Sziasztok= Hi in plural (for at least two persons) only for people who you can address like (sa and not for the ones you must address like Te) So, szia/sziasztok is used the most frequently.
Szervusz is equal with Szia, but szervusz is really only for closer friends.(Szervusztok is its plural)
Csókolom comes from Csókolom a kezét ---> "I kiss your hand". Sounds really stupid, especially when meeting a friend's father. But Jó napot is a bit too official, so there is hardly any other option.

Huh, I never imagined so much can be told about our greetings, sorry. I hope you understand the explanations.
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2007 9:52 pm

Well thank you very much, it helps a lot. I guess I'm not going to tell anyone "Kezét csokolom" afro

So as I understand, Szervusz is for close friends, Szia is most frequently used, Csokolom is official but not as much as Jó ... and hardly anyone says Jó ... kivànok.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Helena wrote:
Well thank you very much, it helps a lot. I guess I'm not going to tell anyone "Kezét csokolom" afro

So as I understand, Szervusz is for close friends, Szia is most frequently used, Csokolom is official but not as much as Jó ... and hardly anyone says Jó ... kivànok.
Yes, and Csókolom is used mostly by kids to greet adults.

Can I also have a question?
When do people say: "Tere hommikust" and "Tere hommikut"?
I know what declesion -st means but in this environment I have no idea what it is doing there.
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 12:59 am

There is generally no difference. People use both of them.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 4:15 pm

Helena wrote:
There is generally no difference. People use both of them.

Thanks, Though I still don't understand what does -st do there.

"Good from morning" or "Good about morning" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hypno
Intelligent member
Hypno

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2007-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 5:19 pm

I don't think I have ever heard "Tere hommikut!". I have heard "hommik!", "hommikust!", but not "hommikut!", unless maybe with "ilusat hommikut!" ("[I wish] a beautiful/pretty morning to you")...
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2007 5:11 pm

Probably it's a bit different in Saaremaa then.

By the way, I have a question for Nowhere Man. Do Russians have dialects? Logically there should be but I've never heard about it.
What about Baltic Russians? Does a Russian who lives in Russia understand if (s)he talks to a Baltic Russian?
Back to top Go down
Tasuja

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 7:05 pm

"Tshuhonia" was a name of Finland couple ages ago. This name is still alive because of Pushkin's poem "Copper horseman" (and I am very disappointed NowhereMan doesnt remember this poem). There is the place described where St.Petersburg was founded. Now "tshuhonia" means Estonia or Finland. "Tshuhonets" is an inhabitant of Tshuhonia. "Tshuhnya" is more rude and mostly used as "common noun" to say smt like "this estonian guy is not very smart though". Sorry if it hurts someone Embarassed

Russians have some dialects, of course.
For example, some words are different for Moscow and St.Petersburg (loaf in Moscow called "baton", in St.Petersburg called "bulka").
Some south or far east or north provinces have different pronounces. For example milk "moloko" normally sounds like "malako". Some regions say it exactly "moloko" (and all other words in same manner). Sounds very funny and sweet.

May be NowhereMan knows some examples more..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning Estonian language   Learning Estonian language - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning Estonian language
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next