People Are Same Everywhere
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People Are Same Everywhere

This international forum is for people from ex Soviet Union countries. Politics acts shouldn’t be cause of international hate. Aim is communication and dialog between people with different views. Be friendly and tolerant, speak English.

HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Empty
PostSubject: Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth   Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 11:02 am

Yesterday Estonian PM visited Poland and met with his Polish counterpart. I have watched press conference and from political point of view nothing interesting happened, usual courtesy. However Ansip mentioned that his home city Tartu has white and red flag granted by Polish king Jan Batory in XVI century. A big part of Estonia belonged to Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth at that time, so I’m curious how Estonian history books describe this period?

Here is history map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Podzia%C5%82_administracyjny_I_RP.png
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth   Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 3:52 pm

Rzeczpospolita wrote:
Yesterday Estonian PM visited Poland and met with his Polish counterpart. I have watched press conference and from political point of view nothing interesting happened, usual courtesy. However Ansip mentioned that his home city Tartu has white and red flag granted by Polish king Jan Batory in XVI century. A big part of Estonia belonged to Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth at that time, so I’m curious how Estonian history books describe this period?

Here is history map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Podzia%C5%82_administracyjny_I_RP.png

Hmm, Isn't he the one we call Báthory János? A Hungarian?
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth   Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Kiskun wrote:

This is my mistake, his name was not Jan but Stefan (Istvan), a Hungarian who married Quinn of Poland and was proclaimed to be king of Poland.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth   Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth EmptyFri Jun 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Rzeczpospolita wrote:
Kiskun wrote:

This is my mistake, his name was not Jan but Stefan (Istvan), a Hungarian who married Quinn of Poland and was proclaimed to be king of Poland.

Oh, the other Báthory, Báthory István.
Back to top Go down
LPF

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth   Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 11:32 am

Rzeczpospolita wrote:
However Ansip mentioned that his home city Tartu has white and red flag granted by Polish king Jan Batory in XVI century.

that's true

tho i cant remember, what our books tell about it:(
Back to top Go down
haku

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth   Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 1:35 am

it's all neutral - that's bit too far. the nearest occupation that probably has some effect on us is swedish occupation, which is called "the golden era"

swedish rule is usually perceived as the best among the bad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth   Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Empty

Back to top Go down

Estonia under Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
Page 1 of 1