People Are Same Everywhere
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People Are Same Everywhere

This international forum is for people from ex Soviet Union countries. Politics acts shouldn’t be cause of international hate. Aim is communication and dialog between people with different views. Be friendly and tolerant, speak English.

HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire Empty
PostSubject: Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire   Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire EmptySun Oct 07, 2007 8:17 pm

Kiskun, did Hungarians were considered to be equal citizens to Austrians or not?
Back to top Go down
Hypno
Intelligent member
Hypno

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2007-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire   Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire EmptyMon Oct 08, 2007 11:36 am

Sorry, I'm not Kiskun, but as far as I remember from my history lessons, not really.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire   Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire EmptyMon Oct 08, 2007 1:03 pm

I like the question.
Well, Austro-Hungarian Empire had been existed for centuries before. The official language was German, it was forbidden to use Hungarian in theatres too until the reform-ages.
There were two toll-lines:
one around the border of the empire
and on the border between Hungary and Austria
It meant that Austrian industry could develope, while it prohibited the developement of Hungarian industry, so we fell back into an agriculural country.

Then, later in 1848-49 we had the Revolution and Freedom Fight which we won first, so, later Austrians had to call the Russians to knock it down. But after this, they saw they cannot govern Hungarians like before, so in 1867 there was a big Compromise which guaranteed all rights for Hungarians. From that time we were autonomous and only had a common military and the Emperor himself. From that time our economy also started to develope, Hungarian language could be used, we were equal citizens of the Empire (also Croatians had self-governing),and the new Hungarian kingdom guaranteed rights for the ethnic minorities living in the territory of the Hungarian Kingdom.

Sorry for the long post, but it was full like this
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

PostSubject: Re: Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire   Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire EmptyTue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks for explanation and by the way, I like long posts Smile This one Is not so long according to my standards Smile

As I mentioned before, I'm reading a book and author mentioned that Slovak Hungarians hoped that some kind of reform happens in at that time fascist Slovakia like before in Austro-Hungarian empire.

From Polish history I know that from all three occupants of our lands Austrians were the less cruel.

How about Austrian-Hungarian relations these days?
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire   Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire EmptyWed Oct 10, 2007 12:25 am

Rzeczpospolita wrote:
Thanks for explanation and by the way, I like long posts Smile This one Is not so long according to my standards Smile

As I mentioned before, I'm reading a book and author mentioned that Slovak Hungarians hoped that some kind of reform happens in at that time fascist Slovakia like before in Austro-Hungarian empire.

From Polish history I know that from all three occupants of our lands Austrians were the less cruel.

How about Austrian-Hungarian relations these days?

Well, it surely sounds like if we were some kind of bad-mooded egoist people who should stay alone and not contamine the world with our company, but actually, Austria is nearly the only neighbour with whom we didn't have any problems in the past decades. Until now Very Happy when Austrians started to contaminate a big river flowing to Hungary.
But basically our relations are good.
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

PostSubject: Re: Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire   Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire EmptyWed Oct 10, 2007 11:45 pm

Except OMV trying to take control over MOL Wink
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

PostSubject: Re: Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire   Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire EmptyWed Oct 10, 2007 11:56 pm

Rzeczpospolita wrote:
Except OMV trying to take control over MOL Wink

That is another kind of "problem"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire   Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire Empty

Back to top Go down

Status of Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire
Page 1 of 1