People Are Same Everywhere
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People Are Same Everywhere

This international forum is for people from ex Soviet Union countries. Politics acts shouldn’t be cause of international hate. Aim is communication and dialog between people with different views. Be friendly and tolerant, speak English.

HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Mart Laar

Go down 
+4
Helena
Kiskun
Hypno
Rzeczpospolita
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 6:38 pm

What is general opinion about him in Estonia? In Poland, Laar is very well known and respected among economical liberals. He is credited for successful transition period in Estonia. Even his book “Estonian miracle” was translated to Polish. He is still active in politics?
Back to top Go down
Hypno
Intelligent member
Hypno

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2007-05-15

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 7:26 pm

I guess he's pretty respected here also. I do like him personally... I even read his blog and he even answered one of my comments Very Happy Very Happy

Blog in Estonian
Blog in English
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks for this link to English language blog, I see that he answer regularly. I will visit this website from time to time. Actually he is concentrated on Russia, what a surprise! lol!
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2007-05-20

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 3:51 pm

Could you tell me about his work particularly?
Back to top Go down
Hypno
Intelligent member
Hypno

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 4:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mart_Laar has rather satisfying overview. I haven't read it yet myself but I will once I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyFri Jun 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Hypno wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mart_Laar has rather satisfying overview. I haven't read it yet myself but I will once I get the chance.

Tänan
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2007-05-17

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 2:29 am

I personally don't like him very much. He is definitely a gifted historian, but I didn't like that he privatized most of the country's companies, for example the Estonian Railways (which has fortunately bought back by now).

On the other hand, I know many Estonians who quite like him.
Back to top Go down
Earthland

Number of posts : 112

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 10:50 am

Laar is quite idiot... better than Savisaar, but I still think he doesn't fit for politician, ....
Back to top Go down
LPF

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2007-05-16

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 11:24 am

Laar is the best...
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 2:53 pm

As I said, I generally don't like him because of his former policy very much but on the other hand - he doesn't seem to bet that corrupted as the most of our politicians.
Back to top Go down
Hypno
Intelligent member
Hypno

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 3:00 pm

The railroad thing sucked, but his reforms really boosted Estonias economy to what it is today. We are among the top ex-SU countries.
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Why are you saying that privatization of railways was wrong? Where problem lies?
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 11:58 pm

Rzeczpospolita wrote:
Why are you saying that privatization of railways was wrong? Where problem lies?

It is not always good to sell the whole country and find that you have nothing which is yours, and you pay fees and everything for foreigners, and your own state cannot give social benefits, because it has nothing to make profit of.
Back to top Go down
whatever

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-05-22

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 1:07 am

Rzeczpospolita wrote:

Actually the problem came up now when we joined EU, since railroad belonged to a private company then it wasn't possible to start rebuild railroad tracks so we could join into common network in EU (money makes the wheels spin - politicians saw opportunity to make more money by buying back the railroad. I.e. great centrist party got some "own men" into railroad board, and they probably hope to get their hands on EU support money (what is meant for building tracks))
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 9:40 am

Kiskun wrote:

It is not always good to sell the whole country and find that you have nothing which is yours, and you pay fees and everything for foreigners
If foreign company would provide better service, I have nothing against. Most state owned companies remain state owned only because politicians have this great opportunity to give all posts in management boards to their incompetent and corrupt palls.

This foreign company pay taxes in your country anyway, there is no difference here.

Quote :
, and your own state cannot give social benefits, because it has nothing to make profit of.

Politician always offers these social benefits from our taxes, just bureaucratic mechanism take a big share of this. If they cannot, this only improve situation.
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 9:45 am

whatever wrote:
Rzeczpospolita wrote:

Actually the problem came up now when we joined EU, since railroad belonged to a private company then it wasn't possible to start rebuild railroad tracks so we could join into common network in EU (money makes the wheels spin - politicians saw opportunity to make more money by buying back the railroad. I.e. great centrist party got some "own men" into railroad board, and they probably hope to get their hands on EU support money (what is meant for building tracks))

So it seems the problem is not privatization in general but rather bad privatization agreement. Modernization of the railroad tracks should be somehow included in this deal.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 12:11 pm

There is truth in that too, but we have really f*cked up this privatization thing here, people on both political sides are unsatisfied. In Hungary they want to sell the rairoads too, and we are so afraid, we have just had a 85% train-fee rise, which we can feel really much! If it gets into private hands, they would maybe raise something on its level, state of repair and so, but until many years, it would serve only upper-middle-class people.
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 2:07 pm

After 1989, it was hard to prevent this svolochi from grabbing the country. Today, I think it would be good time to do it rightfully. Perhaps your perspective is a bit different because Hungarian government origin.

Of course I don’t really know how Hungarian railway company works. But if state owned, I suspect that effectiveness is on low level. So if they already raised tariffs then private company could even be helpful at this place. Their agenda would be simple, to make profits. Without clients there is no profits.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 12:46 pm

Rzeczpospolita wrote:
After 1989, it was hard to prevent this svolochi from grabbing the country. Today, I think it would be good time to do it rightfully. Perhaps your perspective is a bit different because Hungarian government origin.

Of course I don’t really know how Hungarian railway company works. But if state owned, I suspect that effectiveness is on low level. So if they already raised tariffs then private company could even be helpful at this place. Their agenda would be simple, to make profits. Without clients there is no profits.

Yeah, first they should raise its level very much then raise tarifas maybe when our wages reach a certain percentage of modern states.
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 9:06 pm

Kiskun wrote:

Yeah, first they should raise its level very much then raise tarifas maybe when our wages reach a certain percentage of modern states.

Your first demand should be included in privatization deal. If you can please write how much per km you pay in the lowest standard train. I would compare this with Polish reality.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 1:43 am

3 euro cents
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 10:56 am

So this is the same in Poland. Long distances 3 eurocents and for example inside of the Tricity conglomeration (short-distances) 6 eurocents.
Back to top Go down
Kiskun

Kiskun

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Sorry, I was wrong, I didn't take into consideration that I counted with my 50% student benifit, so it is its double, 6 eurocents per kilometre for the lowest standard train.
Back to top Go down
Helena

Helena

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptyFri Jun 22, 2007 9:26 pm

With the privatization of Estonian railway there were also two other problems:
1) the privatizater didn't fulfill his contractual duties (didn't invest an agreed sum of money) which caused the bad situation of railway;
2) the railway is the most important source of profit for Estonia. Most of our transits is going by this way. If the privatizer would have had an idea to sell it, for example, to Gazprom or to Russia itself, it would've been quite bad.
Back to top Go down
Rzeczpospolita

Rzeczpospolita

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar EmptySat Jun 23, 2007 7:51 pm

Helena wrote:
With the privatization of Estonian railway there were also two other problems:
1) the privatizater didn't fulfill his contractual duties (didn't invest an agreed sum of money) which caused the bad situation of railway;
Any consequences for investor?

Quote :
2) the railway is the most important source of profit for Estonia. Most of our transits is going by this way. If the privatizer would have had an idea to sell it, for example, to Gazprom or to Russia itself, it would've been quite bad.

Lithuania had similar problem with Mazeiku refinery, sold once to American company. Russians did them a lot of problems with supply and finally Yukos bought it. Later Putin jailed Khodorkovski and Polish state owned company Orlen bought Mazeiku. Now Lithuanians might be 100% sure that Russians don’t take over this strategic company. Of course Russians already causing problem with supplies but this is not enough to get rid of us Smile Conclussion is that you should resell this company to Polish railway monopoly, although they will turn the most profitable business in to dust but don’t sell to Russians for sure.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mart Laar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mart Laar   Mart Laar Empty

Back to top Go down

Mart Laar
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
People Are Same Everywhere :: Political :: Estonia-
Jump to: